Thursday, December 3, 2009

Photo Montage- Raising Goats

Triplets are not uncommon in goat deliveries- here is my third son with our first set of triplets born on the farm.


Here is a picture of my daughter milking one of our does. The milk is wonderful for drinking, baking, and making cheeses. We boil the milk before we drink it.

Goats are always testing the limits of fencing and structures. Fortunately with the way they try our patience, I was able to take this lovely photo!



This is Daphne. She is by far our best mother goat. She is La Mancha-mix(little or no visible ears)

Sometimes when we have multiples(this is Amos, who was a twin) we supplement with bottles of milk from other does, to ensure the health of the kids. My daughter is bottle feeding the kid in this picture.
I cannot accurately count how many times we share with visitors to the farm tips on goat raising and care. Many have stereotypes about raising goats(I know I did). Once we share our frugal tips and ideas, many leave comforted with the notion of raising their own goats. On line I write about how to make cheeses, how to care for the health of the goats, and even the pens we built.





No comments:

Post a Comment