Thursday, December 3, 2009

Why I Volunteer Tips and My Frugal Life

I was surprised to see that for a class online I needed to complete Community Service, although not for the reasons most would think. I do not think that making people volunteer is what turns people into community minded people. In fact I believe that our society has used community service as a punishment in court for so long that many see community service as a negative. I most certainly believe that if and when people find the time and desire to volunteer, that they should do so. I also must state emphatically that a service that many of us should do that would make our communities a better place would be to focus on educating ourselves far beyond what is expected in the college levels. We should strive to go further than the bare minimum and learn more than what is required. We should read some of the classics as they will increase the mind and the appreciation of so much. We also should take the time to serve our community by reading our Founding Documents, as these will enlighten us to how our communities should be, and not some altruistic place created by those who think that service without integrity will change anything.

As to my Community Service Essay, I am using a blog as my format of the hours I have served this semester. I will not cease to write and share my lifestyle even though the course is ending. You see I understand that by sharing these tips, others can begin to change their lives and adapt to a weakening economy.

I have compiled several postings of what I do in my community and in the world community of the Internet in the following posts. I do so because a tragedy changed my life and I refused to allow it to define my future or my children's future. We see the accident that my husband had as a blessing as it allowed us to rethink our lives and what we truly desired in life.

As to those who are my inspiration in my frugal ways just look below. I choose to live a frugal life- not a cheap life...even though we are on a restricted income. Please read these two posts to understand why I am on this path, and why I do what I do. My Background, How I Began My Community Service Project.





my oldest son who is in the army

my teens


my sweet husband Bill

last year's annual Christmas picture

2006 annual picture at White Sands



And a special note to the one who is my love that I nearly lost in the accident on January 1, 2005.

Thank you all for stopping by and feel free to leave a comment to let me know what you think!
Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog and tips. Greatly appreciated for those of us just starting out.
    YeOldFurt

    ReplyDelete