Thursday, December 3, 2009

Photo Montage Refurbishing the Home Frugally

I write about refurbishing items for blogs, and have people visit to see the final product. We have all been so overexposed to television shows where everything is brand new, that many people have no idea how easy it is to refurbish something that they already have on hand into something simple and attractive. This week a young couple from Hobbs, New Mexico, came over with many questions on how to refurbish a very old home that they just bought.

This is my kitchen- I simply painted the cupboards(which are particle board/cardboard material)

This is a more recent photo of a counter top that we completed. We salvaged the tiles from freecycle(on line community nation-world wide, that people donate or pick up items no longer wanted)


Here is my fuse box. I decoupaged it with a Popular Science magazine. It hides the old battered electrical box well- don't you think?

I decoupaged the walls in my pantry- to hide the vinyl walls that are there. It took me a year to collect all the labels. Living frugally means it is okay to not hurry up and have everything at once.

Here is a cupboard that I redid using chicken wire and rope(both left over from a farm project).


We removed all the carpeting in our home as we bought a very old(run down home). We are slowly accumulating the wood to put in a real wood floor, but until then I painted all the sub floors. I wanted a checkered floor for my dining room.

As I wrote earlier, my cupboards are some type of cardboard/particle board material. I wished to liven them up by decoupaging the doors with old recipes from magazines that I have collected over the years.
I do not have classes on refurbishing, as we all have unique taste, and unique homes. I just open my home to share that even on a frugal budget one can have a nice home.

No comments:

Post a Comment