Thursday, December 3, 2009

Photo Montage Staycations

A staycation is a vacation at home. I write often online and share in my group classes that the lack of money does not remove the opportunity to enjoy some down time and enjoy lovely sites. All over the world(but in our backyards too) are places that other people travel to while on vacation. My frugal tip to readers is to open their eyes and rekindle an appreciation for what is at their fingertips.


My husband and I took 8 teens to the small theme park in Ruidoso. For less than $20.00 a teen they had a great day putt-putt golfing, riding go carts, race carts, climbing a rock wall, riding in bumper water canon boats, running through a maze and much more! My teens are- the young man on the right, the young man in the front with all the girls legs on him, and the young woman second from the right.


In October we took the teens to Mesilla Valley Maze in Las Cruces. There is a maze in a corn field and several fun things to do in the park- there are also many food booths and you can buy pumpkins for cheap!
This is the view from my front porch! I often catch my breath as I take in my surroundings. I long one day to travel to Ireland, and until I do, I see my own window to Ireland each day!


Believe it or not this is just outside the White Sands! This is an Oryx, brought over in the late sixties and early seventies to the desert. I would never be able to afford to go on a Safari to Africa, but thanks to appreciating my own neighborhood my family and I were amazed one day while driving home from Las Cruces, New Mexico.


This is the New Mexico Space Center- here just waiting for the locals to visit the museum, view the IMAX movies, and even send the children to space camp! What a neat bit of local history that brings the history of Americans in Space to us!



By far my favorite local staycation place is Three Rivers, New Mexico! There are over 25,000 petroglyphs to wander and see. Across the way from the petroglyphs is a preserved American Indian site to see the dwellings. One can find pottery and arrowheads- you may not take anything from the park, so others can enjoy and learn of our native history. This is a wonderful day trip and the cost is $2.00! If you bring everything to have a barbecue you can visit the site, then have a lovely family picnic thereafter, as the state has many places to grill and picnic. A plus for those with children is the cleanliness of the public bathrooms!

Another neat petroglyph!




Another incredible day trip is taking the family to the White Sands. Bring your sleds-or rent them at the front buildings(for nominal fee) and enjoy. Make sure you bring ample water to stay hydrated. White Sands also has numerous picnic and grilling areas. To get into White Sands you have to buy a pass(about $20.00) and it last all year. The above photo is the children from our homeschool group having their annual White Sands Trip!



Do not negate the community theater when planning simple activities for your family. This is the float from the Fourth of July parade spotlighting the Flickinger Center's Production of High School Musical. My third son was in the play, and my daughter and second son worked as stage hands. Community Theater is fairly inexpensive-about the cost of a movie ticket- yet is much more enjoyable as it is not too loud, and filled with talented folks from home!



My pictures outed in order- this is from our trip in October to Mesilla. For $1.00 the teens could race in peddle carts on a mile track! Even me(not so much a teen any more) took a turn at the racing spirit- to my complete and total tiredness!


Check out this great slide. The Mesilla Maze park has three slides free to all ages. My three teens are coming down the slide.
So as you can see, when I write about the staycation concept, I am not suggesting that life will be hum drum...living frugal is a wonderful way to live and enjoy your community.

No comments:

Post a Comment